Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Museum Displays

Museum Displays: 

  Today in class we discussed how we determine whether an artifact or remains are “appropriate” to be kept on display in a museum. My opinion deviated quite strongly from the other students’ iclicker responses, because I believed that it was acceptable to allow every item to be publicly viewed. My reasons for this aligned closely with what Devin said during class. Basically, we never know what we might be able to learn from an object in the future, and so to relinquish access to an artifact or remains may be robbing scientists of an amazing opportunity in the future. Additionally, and I should preface this by saying I am not a sentimental person, I can’t wrap my head around a person or group wanting remains or an object back from a museum. In my mind, allowing an object to be held, examined, and displayed in a museum is one of the greatest gifts an individual can give to society after death. To inspire scientific interest in children, provide researchers with insight into the past, and provide revenue for an institution that helps protect and educate the community about the past seems like a noble sacrifice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment